Turmeric, a yellow-orange herb is commonly used as a spice in the Indian kitchen. This flavor-filled spice is primarily cultivated from the rhizomes, or roots, of a flowering plant in India and other parts of Southeast Asia. Turmeric is loaded with health benefits and offers you multiple medicinal properties. For centuries, Turmeric is being used to make “Haldi Doodh” or the Golden milk for its Anti-inflammatory effects. The active constituent, responsible for the anti-inflammatory activity of Turmeric is Curcumin.
Curcumin is responsible for the yellow colour of Turmeric along with its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. However, Curcumin is only found to be 3% by weight in the pure Turmeric powder. As curcumin is considered the most active ingredient in turmeric, researchers have begun to isolate it and use it for different formulations. But it doesn’t mean that Curcumin is the only ingredient with health benefits.
Curcuminoids other than Curcumin are demethoxycurcumin, and bisdemethoxycurcumin. Demethoxycurcumin and Bisdemethoxycurcumin are also found to have anti-inflammatory and anti-proliferative activities.
According to the USDA National Nutrient Database, one tablespoon (tbsp) of turmeric powder contains:
- 29 calories
- 0.91 grams (g) of protein
- 0.31 g of fat
- 6.31 g of carbohydrates
- 2.1 g of fiber
- 0.3 g of sugar
- 26 percent of daily manganese needs
- 16 percent of daily iron
- 5 percent of daily potassium
- 3 percent of daily vitamin C
Few of the many health benefits of Turmeric are-
- Anti-Inflammatory- Chronic inflammation has been linked to many diseases such as heart disease, neurological disease, cancer, etc. The anti-inflammatory benefits of turmeric have been proven just as powerful as the top anti-inflammatory drugs in fighting inflammation on a molecular level.
- Anti-oxidant– Age-related and chronic diseases are often associated with oxidative stress due to free radicals. The antioxidant mechanisms of curcumin actually neutralize harmful free radicals and also boosts the body’s antioxidant capacity creating a double-edged sword to fight against diseases.
- Pain Reliever- Turmeric is thought of as a pain reliever. The spice is reputed to relieve pain and swelling for numerous forms of arthritis.
- Prevents Cancer- Turmeric and its active ingredient curcumin have shown potential in preventing and improving the treatment of cancer. The antioxidant activity of turmeric has been found to reduce tumor growth.
- Improves Heart Health- Turmeric helps by reducing cholesterol, improving blood pressure, and fighting inflammation to reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Mood Elevator- Turmeric also offers antidepressant benefits.
Turmeric and curcuminoids both have medicinal properties. However, consuming the traditional amount of Tumeric has few drawbacks-
- It doesn’t absorb well into the bloodstream, and the amount we use as a spice is not adequate for the beneficial effects of Turmeric.
- First Pass effect further decreases the bioavailability of Turmeric
- Curcumin is only found to be 3% by weight in the pure Turmeric powder.
- Adulteration is a big problem for today’s world.
To address the above limitations, Yogic Secrets has come forth with a formula- AyurMeric, containing Turmeric fortified with Curcumin and Inulin (a prebiotic fibre with health benefits such as promoting digestive health, controlling blood sugar, etc.). For more info please visit: https://www.yogicsecrets.com/ayurmeric
Use code: Samarth to get additional 10% discount.